The Machine Materials Laboratory at the institute of Physics of the University of Amsterdam is looking for excellent, highly motivated postdoctoral research c…
University Lecturer in Early Modern History/ 18the century
- Begijnhof, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 uur
- € 3427 - € 5330 per maand
The Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History is looking for an University Lecturer in Early Modern History/ 18the century (0.8 fte).
The Institute for History invites applications for a position in early modern history, with a focus on Europe in the eighteenth century and/or the revolution and restoration age.
- Teach and supervise students in the BA and MA programmes in History;
- Teach for Leiden University College The Hague ;
- Contribute to the research specialization ‘Collective identities and transnational networks in medieval and early modern Europe, 1000-1800’;
- Use her/his research experience to co-supervise doctoral research;
- Develop research projects, and write national and international grant proposals ;
- Undertake some administrative tasks, and play a role in the various teaching and examination committees;
- Be present in Leiden throughout the academic year.
- A historian (F/M) with a PhD and a good range of publications in early modern history, with a focus on the eighteenth century, and/or the revolution and restoration age;
- Preference may be given to applicants whose research extends to several different European countries, those who work from a global perspective and/or have an expertise in the history of the British Isles;
- An experienced and inspiring academic teacher, with clear ideas on teaching methods;
- A teacher willing and able to teach outline papers across the early modern period, as well as a BA course on the Birth of the Modern World;
- A team player eager to contribute to the lively setting of the Leiden History Institute;
- A scholar with experience in obtaining research funding;
- A scholar with an international academic network and collaborations.
- Have an excellent command of English as well as some other European languages. If the successful applicant is not Dutch-speaking, s/he is expected to acquire a good command of Dutch within two years, so as to be able to teach in the BA programme. The administrative language of Leiden University is Dutch;
- Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, the successful applicant may be required to enter a nationally standardized tertiary teaching skills certification trajectory (BKO or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs).
The position is to be taken up on August 1, 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter. The candidate will be appointed at the Leiden University Institute for History (LUIH).
We offer an appointment of 30.4 hours per week, initially for 2 years from 1 August 2017 through July 2019 with the possibility of a permanent position thereafter.
The monthly salary will range between € 3,427.- and € 5,330.- gross, based on a full-time appointment (pay scale 11/12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) ). Depending on qualifications, the lecturer may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until he/she fully meets the requirements for scale 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at http://www.workingat.leiden.edu/.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Queries may be sent to Prof. J.S. Pollmann at email firstname.lastname@example.org, Academic Director of the Institute, or Prof. J.F.J. Duindam at email email@example.com, Professor of Early Modern History.
Leiden is a typical university city, hosting the oldest university in the Netherlands (1575). The University permeates the local surroundings; University premises are scattered throughout the city, and the students who live and study in Leiden give the city its relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere.
Leiden University is one of Europe's foremost research universities. This prominent position gives our graduates a leading edge in applying for academic posts and for functions outside academia.Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 930, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 6,000 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in modern buildings in The Hague.
The Institute for History is one of the seven Research Institutes of the Faculty of Humanities, employing c. 120 members of staff who teach in a variety of programmes. The BA in History attracts around 250 new students every year, the MA and ResMA around 150; we have around c. 50 Ph.D candidates with full funding. Its central research mission is to study ‘Global questions’, through the study of ‘local sources’ (https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/institute-for-history/research). In the last decade or so, our staff has been exceptionally successful in attracting new research funding and new students, and the Institute is growing fast. It is proud of its reputation as a vibrant, international academic community, and its collaborative and friendly atmosphere.
The Institute’s academic staff collaborate in six research programmes – we would expect the lecturer to participate in the research programme Collective identities and transnational networks in medieval and early modern Europe, 1000-1800 (https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/institute-for-history/medieval-and-early-modern-europe).
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature